I have a few makeup tips for brides on how to prepare before their wedding to assure the best possible makeup application for their big day. Please see below and feel free to comment or add any tips of your own.
WEDDING MAKEUP TIPS FOR BRIDES:
- Waxing Tip: If you are getting your eyebrows waxed for your wedding, do it at least 3 days before hand. Waxing removes a layer of skin along with the hair, and if it has been done too recently, makeup has a hard time adhering to the raw skin. If you’re worried about any strays showing up between your wax and your big day, ask your professional makeup artist to remove them. If it’s just a few, it shouldn’t leave you too red. And if it does leave you a little red, it’s probably nothing a little makeup can’t cover (at least the makeup will be able to adhere!).
- Facial Tip: If you plan on getting a relaxing facial before your big day, make sure you do it at least one week prior to your wedding day and no less! The purpose of a facial (besides feeling amazing and leaving your skin glowing) is to draw impurities to the surface of the skin, so that your skin can rid itself of these pesty impurities. HOWEVER, the impurities typically show up in the form of zits, pimples or blackheads – yuck! Did the facial make you break out? Yes! But that’s the purpose of it! Plus, some facials include extractions in which the esthetician will remove any existing impurities. All this poking and prodding can leave your skin red and tender, not to mention you may have a few impurities waiting to show up any minute after the facial. This is one of those cases where things tend to get worse before they get better. That’s why I say do it at least a week prior to your big day! Give your makeup artist a little less work : )
- Hydration Tip: Make sure you drink plenty of water and moisturize often before your wedding day! I know the days leading up to the big day can be very stressful and hectic, leaving little time to take care of yourself, let alone drink some water. But alas, it’s very important that you stay well hydrated because I know you want that dewy, fresh, glowing, blushing-bride look, and staying hydrated and moisturized is one way to help assure this! Think of a desert that hasn’t had any rain in quite some time, the dirt begins to crack. This is what will happen to your skin (and especially your lips) if you don’t stay hydrated and moisturized – eew! So make sure you drink lots o’ water and lacker on that moisturizing cream weeks prior to the big day!
- Bridesmaids, Mothers, etc. Tip: If your bridesmaids, Mothers, etc. will be getting their makeup done professionally along with you, make sure you give them these tips as well. And, most importantly, make sure they (and you) arrive with a clean, makeup-free and moisturized face! Things are going to be hectic enough that you don’t want your makeup artist to also have to worry about scraping last-night’s makeup from the bachelorette party off everyone’s face. Keep things simple for the big day! And make sure everyone is on the same page about what time they need to arrive! Better yet, give them a schedule with these tips and instructions included to make things a little easier.
- Trial Tip: I always suggest doing a trial run with your makeup artist before your wedding day. A trial run will allow you to discuss your makeup needs and desires with your makeup artist prior to your big day, ensuring less stress on the day of your wedding, and it will guarantee that you’ll get the look you want. You can also discuss makeup ideas/colors for the bridesmaids, Mothers, etc., so that your makeup artist will have something in mind prior to the big day, making sure things run smoothly and efficiently. This is especially important if their is a large bridal party getting their makeup done. The trial will give both you and your makeup artist an idea of what to expect on your big day as well as peace of mind. And plus, it’s great to use for your engagement photos, bridal shower, bachelorette party or engagement party!
Those are my most important bridal tips for now. If I think of any others, I’ll be sure to add them later. And as I already mentioned, feel free to add some tips of your own! Check back often for new tip additions!